Friday 14 December 2012

My favourite Christmas films

My name is Janet and I'm a Christmas-aholic. 

I love the festive season, and come December I favour the 'full sensory immersion' technique to get me in the spirit (as if I needed any help).  So the halls are decked, the fairy lights are atwinkle, the Sufjan Stevens Christmas albums are on heavy rotation on my iPod, and my DVD player gets a lot of use as I watch one festive film after another.  These are just a few of my favourites...


1. My absolute top, number one, favourite Christmas film is A Muppet Christmas Carol.  It has great songs, silly jokes, Animal playing the drums, and is surprisingly faithful to the source material.  What's not to like?!

2. I developed a bit of a crush on adult, pre-being dumped by Mila Kunis and going a bit heroin addict Macauly Culkin, which makes watching and enjoying Home Alone feel a bit wrong.  Nevertheless, a great festive watch; if you can keep your eyes dry when his mum turns up at the end, you have a harder heart than I.

3.  The Muppets too much for you?  Never fear, this recent motion capture animation of A Christmas Carol is a bit less silly but still bags of fun and oh-so-festive. 


4. I love musicals and I love a bit of cheese (some would say the two are synonymous), so White Christmas is always a good watch.

5. I have a confession to make: I'd never seen Elf until it was on TV this Sunday.  How could I have survived the last nine Christmas's without it?!  I loved this movie, with Will Ferrell as a human raised by elves at the North Pole, setting off to New York to find his real father and having all sorts of Christmassy misadventures before (of course) saving the day.

6. I know I'm supposed to prefer the original 1947 version, but I'm a sucker for this remake of Miracle On 34th Street

4 comments:

  1. Home Alone & It's a Wonderful Life joint faves for me :) (also still love the snowman and quite intrigued to see the new snow dog film on xmas eve, ahem) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As became clear on Facebook when people started commenting on my link, I could do a whole "never have I ever..." about Christmas films. Never seen It's A Wondeful Life. Never seen Die Hard. Never seen Scrooged... the list goes on.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to see The Muppet Christmas Carol at the cinema soon and I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So jealous! I missed it at the Phoenix cinema last week :(

      Delete