Monday 3 September 2012

Music Monday: The Distillers


I've been feeling a bit miz lately and I'm not sure why.  It's partly the usual back to school blues, I think, and partly thinking about the fact that this year was meant to be my big adventure in America and instead... here I am still.  A few of my friends are having a tough time at the moment, so it's possibly about that too; a sympathy miz, if you like.  But it might just be that I'm a mardy cow!  Regardless of the reasons, the music that always helps when I'm feeling down is anything female-fronted and heavy.  Hole, Garbage, Tura Satana or this, The Distillers. 

Fronted by the charismatic and controversial Brody Dalle, The Distillers recorded and released three albums between 2000 and 2003, before splitting up.  Dalle went on to have a child (with Queens Of The Stone Age's Josh Homme, her husband), and then to form the more pop-influenced Spinerette.  I was lucky enough to see The Distillers play live at Leeds Festival in 2004, and they were a glorious mess of punk and attitude.  This video is from Jools Holland and features two tracks from their last album, Coral Fang: the rather Hole-esque Drain The Blood and Die On A Rope.  Both are eminently suited to being played at top volume and screamed along to, until any bad mood has been banished.

No comments:

Post a Comment