Monday 17 June 2013

Music Monday: Q&A with B

Today's guest post comes courtesy of B, who blogs at Make Do & Spend.  She very kindly volunteered to answer my music Q&A, and also included a fab photograph of her record player.
 

What’s the first record (single or album) that you bought?
I genuinely can't remember the first single I bought. Every Saturday I used to go into the town centre and spend my pocket money on my favourite chart song - on tape if possibly, so I could listen to it on my Walkman.

What I do remember is the first time I went into a record shop to buy an album after hearing one of the tracks on television and tracking it down. It was REM's Automatic For The People, and I remember being so pleased when the guy who served me acknowledged that I'd made a great choice.

What was the first gig you went to?
I'm going to discount the gig I went to with my best friend's church club, where the frontman of the support band did a stage dive... into empty space... ouch!

So it could have been Daniel Bedingfield in concert (that guy had energy!), it could've been Tom Jones (I was largely surrounded by women in their 60s, but he was incredible) or it might have been Supergrass (which would probably give me the most street cred).

What song reminds you of being a teenager?
Mr Brightside by The Killers. I clearly remember hearing it for the first time, aged 17, turned up loud in a car full of my friends from my A Level drama group. It became the anthem of that summer.

How would you sum up your music tastes, in terms of genre? Have your tastes changed over the years?
I'm not sure I can - I sort of just like what I like! My tastes have changed though, or developed at least.

When I was at primary school my favourite artists were Simon and Garfunkel. I just didn't get why the other girls were crazy for Take That (now I do - it's good pop!). I'd been brought up on a diet of pure vinyl. My dad is a passionate collector. I knew far more than the average 10 year old about 1960s prog rock labels. Which was obviously a hit in the playground.

Somewhere in high school I suddenly developed a taste for chart music, and later discovered live music and indie bands - helped along by new friends, radio shows and chance encounters. But I still definitely share a love of many artists with my dad, and this has only developed over time. I've even have my own (growing!) record collection now.

Like olives, wine and coffee, a taste for some music does develop with age. Dad loves to recount to people the time, as a child, I told him to turn Bob Dylan off because 'he can't sing'. And now, aged 26, I've not only seen him live twice, there's a picture of Dylan hanging on my living room wall!

Which songs will always get you on the dance floor?
Anything Beyonce has ever done. I wish I could move like her - I do my very best, but it's not a cool look. Aside from her music being incredibly catchy, she comes across as a really genuine person and I think she's a strong female role model.

I also can't help but leap onto the dance floor for The Rolling Stones' Paint It Black - I think that's more one from my indie club days. I was much less self-conscious dancing there. It largely involved jumping around and copying other peoples' comic moves.

What song makes you cry?
Abide With Me - it instantly takes me back to the funerals of my grandparents

What are your top five favourite albums or artists of all time?
A tough one! But off the top of my head...

Elbow - Leaders of the Free World
Paul Simon - Graceland
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

And a cheeky extra: Alt J

Do you have any guilty pleasures when it comes to music?
I think there's quite a few elements of my music collection that certain friends think I should be embarrassed by. But the only music I probably turn down in the car when I stop at the lights is musical soundtracks - but that's mainly because I can't help but sing along to them...!

If you could sum yourself up in one song or lyric, what would it be?
This is an incredibly good but difficult question!

So, after much thought, I'm going to act like a politician and slightly side-step what I'm actually being asked to tell you about my favourite lyricist. Guy Garvey, lead singer of Elbow.

He is the most incredible wordsmith - his lyrics are just magical. Here's just a sample...

"And we made the moon our mirrorball
The streets, an empty stage
The city sirens violins
Everything has changed

When out of a doorway the tentacles stretch
Of a song that I know and the world moves in slow-mo
Straight to my head like the first cigarette of the day."

1 comment:

  1. Totally with you about Beyonce; I love to attempt an ass-shake to End Of Time or Single Ladies when I've had one too many drinks. Not a good look on a white girl, sadly.

    ReplyDelete