Monday 22 October 2012

Music Monday: Q&A with Helen



This week's Music Monday post comes courtesy of the lovely Helen, who blogs at Using My Loaf.  We worked out a while ago that we have very similar music taste - her memories of The Bends are exactly the same as mine!
 
What’s the first record (single or album) that you bought?
I cannot remember the first record I bought. I can kind of remember asking my parents to buy me a Boy George single when I was little. It was The War Song from 1984 (thanks Wikipiedia!) In the early nineties I spent most of my pocket money on tapes, some good, some bad. What I can remember is the first ever CD I bought – Portishead’s Glorybox single in 1995.
 
What was the first gig you went to?
I am going to come clean and admit it was Take That at Wembley Arena. Janet's answer made me laugh, mine is practically the same!
 
What song reminds you of being a teenager?
Pretty much any Britpop era song. Radiohead's The Bends album takes me right back to the awkward/shy/DM wearing/raiding my parents booze/piercing my own ears/hours of listening to music in my bedroom years.
 
How would you sum up your music tastes, in terms of genre? Have your tastes changed over the years?
I would like to think I have a pretty open mind when it comes to music. When I was younger (see above) I announced boldly to my uninterested classmates that I only listen to music that has guitars in it, anything else is inferior. But I opened my mind to dance music in my late teens and never looked back. I like most genres of music now including some D'n'B, dubstep, and hiphop. What I don't like is most mainstream pop chart stuff like that X Factor rubbish. And Coldplay. I hate Coldplay.
 
Which songs will always get you on the dance floor?
Pretty much anything if I am drunk enough. I do not go clubbing anymore nor have I done so since my mid-twenties. My friends and I have had many a discussion in the pub in recent years about how we have bowed out gracefully and dancing in public is a young persons’ game. Now that we are all getting a little older, fatter and slower when we dance it just does not look right. We are in danger of entering the "embarrassing dad dancing" territory! While I agree whole heartedly with my pals’ wisdom, all this goes out the window after a few drinks! After not dancing in public for a good 6 odd years, this year I have danced on my own like a loon at weddings, made a twat of myself dancing in wellies to 90's tracks at indie tracks festival and danced to the birdy song drunk in a field in broad daylight. Yup, I have no shame, I am that drunk person I’m afraid to say. Hey at least I am enjoying myself I suppose!
 
What song makes you cry?
Hoppipolla by Sigur Rós. It came out in 2005 when I lost my grandad and takes me back to those sad times.
 
What are your top five favourite albums or artists of all time?
Hard question, I have so many to chose from! In no particular order
1. Leftfield - Leftism
2. Nirvana - Nevermind
3. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
4. Now I cannot think of anymore timeless (to me) albums - Lets switch to artists, I have loved the Chemical Brothers and Orbital for years
5. Erm recent faves are Friendly Fires and Foals.
 
Do you have any guilty pleasures when it comes to music?
I love Robyn, Roisin Murphy and St Etienne. But I don't feel guilty about it. I also like Gangnam Style!
 
If you could sum yourself up in one song or lyric, what would it be?
In reference to an earlier question....Maybe Murder on the Dance Floor - by Sophie Ellis Bexter!







4 comments:

  1. I think I have changed my mind about Gangham Style now, it is starting to get on my nerves a little! Thanks for letting me guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Helen - I know the "embarrassing Dad dancing" feeling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like my taste, too. But... wait... St Etienne are supposed to be a guilty pleasure? *blushes* Guess I was being even more outspokenly "different" than I realised...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jenny! Ahh the "embarrassing Dad dancing" feeling is always cured after a few shandies! Sarah I dunno? Part of me is the awkward teen that thinks she only likes "rock" music, then part of me loves happy pop type music! And people are always surprised I like them - I guess its because I wear too much black!

    ReplyDelete