Monday 19 November 2012

Music Monday: Q&A with Adam

Today's Q&A is brought to you by Adam of the Willoughby Book Club, a rather brilliant subscription service that I wrote about here.  Even better, they currently have a Christmas shopping discount: before 24th December, enter HOHOHO at the checkout to receive 10% off your order.  I'm fairly sure we must have danced next to each other at Mosh some time.

What’s the first record (single or album) that you bought?
The first record I remember buying was Avenging Angels by Space, on cassette in 1997. In hindsight, it seems unlikely I would have been allowed to by a single with a B-side entitled Bastard me Bastard you aged 12…but apparently so.

There have been some pretty disastrous purchases since that fateful day, but thankfully some pretty great ones too.

What was the first gig you went to?
The first gig I went to was The Stereophonics at Donington Park in 2001. They were supported by The Black Crowes, Ash and Proud Mary, and as we were camping, it was my first experience of ‘festival’ life…

The last gig I went to was with my wife Chloe to see Emmy The Great at The Soundhouse in Leicester earlier this year. She’s an unbelievably talented folk pop artist, and if they haven’t already, we’d urge your readers to look her up.

What song reminds you of being a teenager?
Dreaming of You by The Coral will always remind me of (fairly hazy) evenings at the newly opened Mosh nightclub in Leicester city centre. It was a regular haunt of ours for a few years, and could always be relied on for a great evening. This track was played without fail every Saturday, and probably still is today.

How would you sum up your music tastes, in terms of genre?  Have your tastes changed over the years?
I’d say I have fairly eclectic taste, but with a strong steer towards indie. I’m happy to explore any genre, and I’m a firm believer that there’s something to be gained from listening to most types of music. It’s sometimes really great to move out of your musical comfort zone and listen to some records that wouldn’t ordinarily have been on your radar.

Which songs will always get you on the dance floor?
It doesn’t take much to get me on the dancefloor…but I’d say that I throw my best shapes* to Going Underground by The Jam, New Life by Depeche Mode and Born To Run by The Boss.

* My ‘best’ shapes are undeniably awful.

What song makes you cry?
Cat Power’s cover of Sea of Love without doubt. It was the song that my beautiful wife decided to walk up the aisle to, at our wedding at New Walk museum a little earlier this year.

Following that, I’d say Goodnight by The Beatles. I sometimes wish Ringo was there to tuck me in at night…is that weird? It is isn’t it? Oh well.

What are your top five favourite albums or artists of all time?
My top 5 albums of all time (in no particular order) are…

1. Joanna Newsom - Ys

2. Arcade Fire - Funeral

3. The Smiths – Strangeways, Here We Come

4. Bob Dylan – Bringing It All Back Home

5. The Beatles – White Album

Do you have any guilty pleasures when it comes to music?
Everyone loves Madonna, right? “Borderline…feels like I’m going to lose my mind” No? No? Oh…ok.

If you could sum yourself up in one song or lyric, what would it be?
“I want to live and I want to love. I want to catch something I might be ashamed of”
(The Smiths – Frankly Mr Shankly)
 

4 comments:

  1. A brilliant song lyric!

    It's very interesting to see the musical crossovers in the answers. I think all of the people who answered (including me!) love Joanna Newsom, yet no-one I know has heard of her!

    I love Spaced, they are the sound of the 1990s for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And lots of Smiths lyrics in final answers... there's definitely a lot of crossover.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Space, that takes me back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It got me singing 'The Female Of The Species'!

      Delete