Sunday 4 November 2012

£100 challenge update

I'm on week eight now (week nine really, but I gave myself a week off for half term).  And things have gone a bit Pete Tong again, although I would argue that I've stayed completely within the spirit of the challenge.  It's just that I had another big even: one that I couldn't miss, and that required quite significant spending.

Monday: £4.99 magazine
               £4.40 drinks in pub
Tuesday: £10.57 groceries
                £3.25 drinks in pub (do you sense a theme developing...?  This was book group, so at least
                there was a cerebral reason for all this drinking!)
Wednesday: nothing
Thursday: £7.60 drinks (ahem) at theatre
Friday (this is where it all starts to go awry): £10.94 groceries
                                                                        £29.32 petrol
                                                                        £52.97 new outfit (top, jeans & shoes) for tomorrow
Saturday: £25 drinks & food
                £45 B&B
Sunday: £5 cinema ticket
              £11.51 groceries

Total without the celebratory weekend away: £102.23 - well done me!
Actual total, including petrol, B&B and night out: £201.55 - oh dear

I knew ages ago that this weekend would be a money pit: I'd arranged to drive to Norfolk to surprise my good friend, Hannah, for her 30th birthday party, which meant splashing out on petrol, a stay in a B&B, a new outfit (honest - my only pair of decent heels broke, so I had to replace them, and then...erm, I needed to get a top and some trousers to go with the new shoes?).  Not to mention the money spent on the actual night.  Like the weekend in London a few weeks ago, which wrecked my October budget, I don't begrudge spending the money because it's just what you do when your mate's having a special event.  But I need to stick to my £100 for the next few weeks, if only to ensure I have a financial cushion for this exact kind of thing in future.

And in other big news, I cut up my credit card!  It was just too tempting when it came to those skint days at the end of the month, so into the bin it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment