Tuesday 31 July 2012

Cape Town

There's only one thing better than travelling, and that's going home again.  And the second best thing to going home?  Ending your travels with a visit to family, which is - provided you get on with your family - as near as dammit to home.

I arrived in Cape Town late on Saturday evening and have been staying with my aunt Jenny and uncle Michael since then.  Sunday was a whirlwind of family visits and new introductions, meeting Jenny's family at an afternoon braai (BBQ) and spending time with my 92 year old granny and my cousin Caroline.  Cape Town is where my mum grew up, and it was the place she was most keen for me to see on my first trip back to South Africa. On that visit I never really fell in love with the place, but it has well and truly captured my heart this time around. 
Yesterday, Jenny played hooky from work and we basked in sunshine (I really cannot believe my luck on this trip, the winter weather has been fantastic) in Kalk Bay, watching seals play in the harbour and doing all the best kind of shopping: vintage goodies, wine tasting, browsing in Kalk Bay Books and, finally, shopping for fabric.  I went into raptures over the glorious African prints on offer at Mnandi Textiles and came out with as much as I could carry.  I can't wait to get sewing.



I have four more days to enjoy here, and then I pack my bags for an overnight train journey to Johannesburg, where I will stay with another cousin before leaving for the UK a week today.

No comments:

Post a Comment