Monday 4 June 2012

Music Monday: Beirut


I received some awful news on Thursday; namely, my long-hoped for teaching exchange to America has fallen through.  This weekend I've spent some time crying, some time sulking, quite a bit of time drinking to excess.  But it's not the end of the world.  When I found out I was moving, I began to appreciate the little details of my life that make it so good.  I wrote those things down, and thank goodness I did, because now I can look at that list and rejoice in all the wonderful people and things I no longer have to leave behind.

I spent the weekend in London, being ably distracted from my bad mood by friends.  The Field Day festival in Hackney on Saturday was hipster-central, and Cara and I enjoyed sitting in the sunshine laughing at outrageous crimes against fashion.  Highlight of the day was Beirut's performance on the main stage as the sun disappeared and the rain began to set it.  Elephant Gun was the moment when my heart began to feel just a little bit lighter.  "If I was young, I'd flee this town, I'd bury my dreams underground."

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm glad your friends were able to distract you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh no, sorry to hear it's fallen through. But Beirut and good times with friends are a nice way of cheering yourself up, and you should plan lots of things in merry England now (like a day trip to Nottingham!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trip to Nottingham planned for this Thursday! Going to hit up Fopp and the vintage warehouse, but any other recommendations gratefully received!

      Delete
  3. Thats pretty shitty. Sorry to hear that. Maybe you could do it next year? x

    ReplyDelete