Sunday 16 November 2014

Weekend scenes


At this time of year, a common image heading up 'what I did at the weekend' blog posts is a misty field, or a beautiful woodland walk. But me? I lead with a Lego castle. Because instead of spending our weekend taking blog-friendly snaps of autumn leaves or pumpkin spice lattes (yuk), The Boy and I did something far more fun. We spent our time visiting my mums*, playing with my niece and nephew, and watching my step-mum's choir. She's a member of Gay Abandon, Leeds' LGBTQ choir, and their annual performances are well worth the trip up the M1.

* That's mums plural, not a missing apostrophe

The wonderful Gay Abandon: image source here

Our weekends recently have been pretty hectic. Last week, The Boy's parents came to spend the weekend with us and we took them to Stratford-upon-Avon for a visit to the Shakespeare birthplace, a wander around the beautiful town (and a random visit to Poundland).



I was equally intrigued and creeped out by this straw gardener at the Shakespeare birthplace house.



And then, in a complete contrast to the quaint beauty of Stratford, we spent the first weekend in November in Manchester, visiting vintage shops and design emporium Fred Aldous, taking photographs of street art, and eating great vegan junk food at V Revolution.

We were celebrating our second anniversary, but don't think that means we were out partying till dawn. In reality, a sudden IBS attack left me feeling rubbish so, after an amazing dinner at Ning in the Northern Quarter, we headed back to our hotel  and spent the rest of the evening in our giant bed, watching Midsomer Murders and swigging Cava from mini bottles. Rock n roll.






After three weekends of travel in a row, we're both feeling pretty wiped out. But how special to be able to spend so much time with family and the dude I love. I'll take the tiredness any day.

7 comments:

  1. Tiredness is so worth the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon spending the evening in watching TV in a nice hotel and drinking Cava sounds about perfect! And Gay Abandon sound amazing. You do weekends well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gay Abandon ARE amazing; their version of "I Am What I Am" is really something special.

      Delete
  3. I love a weekend like this now and again, although I find that I can havemore than enough of my family = they're best in small doses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, definitely! What's the famous quote - "the secret to happiness is having a large, loving, close-knit family in another city"!

      Delete
  4. Nice little blog, really like it - will share it with my girlfriend. I am a big fan of Morrissey so this is an added bonus too. Stratford Upon Avon is quaint and a little strange at the same time I always think, you can go old English straight into modern Britain fairly quickly. It does have Paxton and Whitfield though, an awesome cheese shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) And I've never been but oh my word, is Paxton & Whitfield going to the top of my 'to-visit' list! I'll just have to leave the vegan boyfriend outside.

      Delete