Sunday 30 November 2014

How to have a conscious Christmas

,

When I talk about a 'conscious Christmas', I mean one which is conscious of social justice and the environment, conscious of the things that matter in our lives - family, friends, simple living - rather than getting into debt. I love Christmas with all of my heart, but I'll be the first to admit that every year the 'noise' surrounding it becomes more and more focused on capitalist consumption, with all the exploitative practice that implies. So I thought I'd put together a few ideas to help make your Christmas more conscious.

Have an Amazon-free festive season
Amazon don't pay a living wage. They evade tax to the tune of billions of pounds. They don't respect the rights of their workers, don't engage with unions, and use zero hours contracts. And yet, because they're convenient to use, we continue buying from them even though we know it's wrong. This Christmas, think before you click and look elsewhere. eBay usually has similar prices on many goods you might usually buy from Amazon. For online book shoppping, Hive supports independent booksellers and you can arrange to collect your orders from a local store. Record Store are comparable, price wise, to Amazon and are excellent for niche, indie releases.. This Christmas, there's no excuse to keep giving money to a company that contributes nothing to the British economy.

Handcraft to your heart's content
Every Christmas I try and make a few gifts by hand, and they almost always turn out to be the ones that are most appreciated. This year I've been making personalised tote bags and teacup candles. Home-baked biscuits, chutneys or jams are always well-received, and Lily also wrote a good round-up of handmade gifts last week. Or, instead of more 'stuff', think about giving something more precious: time. Make a voucher for an afternoon tea party round yours for your friends; pick up tickets for a play or gig for your hard-to-buy-for brother; treat your mum to a slap-up dinner and cocktails.

It's all in the detail
Andrea's lovely post about her festive to-do list reminded me that it's the small things that matter at this time of year: an open fire, listening to some Christmas music (my favourites are Ella Fitzgerald, Sufjan Stevens, and She & Him), or baking up a storm. The small details, often cheap or free, are what really make the festive season special. How about going out for a winter walk foraging for evergreens to make a beautiful Christmas wreath? Watch out for a how-to on the blog later this week.

Give a gift that matters
2014 is the third year that John Lewis have partnered with Refuge to run their gift list, providing Christmas presents for women and children in shelters around the UK. Other local charities run similar projects, enabling you to buy toys for children in care or children from families who otherwise couldn't afford anything. If there's one thing I will encourage you to spend you money on this Christmas, it's this. And thanks to @OddSocksAlex who reminded me about foodbank donations. As criminal as it is that one of the richest countries in the world has so many foodbanks, do think about giving something to help them provide for people over Christmas. Fareshare are currently collecting in Tesco stores around the country, so why not add a little extra to your weekly shop.

Shop local; shop independent
This year, make your Christmas shopping count by spending money at local and independent businesses rather than handing it over to exploitative multinationals. Here in Leicester we're lucky to have a whole quarter - The Lanes - housing small businesses, as well as fabulous food shopping at the famous market. But Leicester isn't unique; every town or city in the UK has independent shops crying out for your custom. From gorgeous handcrafted jewellery, to toys, homewares, and clothing, there's often no need to grace the big chain stores with your presence at all this Christmas. Or visit a maker's mart or craft fair: I'm looking forward to hitting up the Bust Craftacular in London on December 14th, but there are events around the country in the run-up to Christmas, giving you a chance to buy directly from makers.

12 comments:

  1. Great ideas.
    A couple of Christmases ago, one of my familiy members was very ill and Christmas passed me by in a blur. It reminded me that really, it's just a day. I'm lucky in that I have a small family, but I'm sticking with books, homemade liqueurs and sweets, and crafty decorations. I've been really enjoying looking for little at the local markets, craft fairs and car boots too.
    I'm volunteering for Crisis in a pop-up homeless shelter on the 25th and 26th, so I'll be asking friends and family to sponsor me for that, if they would like to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic way to spend the 25th, if you email me your sponsorship details I'd love to contribute.

      Delete
  2. While I agree with all of this in principle, I'm cautious about using "shop local" as a failsafe ethical approach. I know of too many local businesses which dodge at least some of their taxes, pay their staff minimum wage and have really shoddy policies when it comes to things like sickness, holidays and maternity rights - and I don't know where to draw the line here. For example, I don't go to the independent cafe which refused to serve the "smelly" man with mental health issues or the local store which sacked someone for getting pregnant, but is it okay to go to shops which pay minimum wage just because the owner's a nice person who's trying to run their own business? At what point (how many stores in their chain?) do they have to up their ethical game? Is a big chain which pays less than the living wage but has an excellent sickness policy better or worse than a small company which does neither?

    (I don't expect a definitive answer here - or even necessarily any at all - I'm just despairing into a comments box because I think about these questions quite a lot)

    (I'm also not going to pretend I never shop on Amazon - that would be untrue)

    (But, regardless of where I shop, yes, I'm all for supporting charities and spending less on tat and prioritising moments over material goods)

    (I'm so worried now this is coming across the wrong way...!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make an excellent point - I suppose I was thinking specifically of small design/makers who craft and sell their own wares rather than employ others, that seems to be the trend here in Leicester, at least. I've worked in retail in both small and big businesses and wasn't paid a living wage in any of them, but in my experience (which was a good few years ago) the smaller shops were more reliable in terms of guaranteed hours and flexibility while the chains had better sickness policies, so for me it was swings and roundabouts.

      Delete
  3. If in doubt, make it yourself. I know I'd rather receive something handmade and imperfect than expensively flawless.
    For several years, starting with a December where we had virtually no money, we handmade gifts because that's all we could manage and you know, the reception was so good we never looked back. Plus it's rewarding to make and to give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I try to be wary of with handmade gifts is that, while it's looked upon as a thrifty alternative, if you're not careful the costs can rack up! For me, though, it's still worthwhile as I love making stuff.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the mention :)

    I love all of this! I love the idea of shopping locally (although I totally get Sarah's points aswell). I've bought quite a few things locally this year, which I never normally do but most are from very small shops that are run by the owner, plus a couple that I know to be reputable. I guess in such a small community its easier to know which shops to avoid.

    As for amazon, I am so guilty of buying from it and I get so annoyed with myself. I keep intending to boycott it but its just so handy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that over time, I've got used to not using Amazon. I still sometimes use the app to check whether something has been released or to look for ideas, but then I always buy elsewhere.

      Delete
  5. http://www.amazonanonymous.org/ - just seen this, which is the second mention of amazon avoidance I've heard this year (including the post above). I'd not really considered it before, to be honest, but will bear in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas sent me the link last week, it's what got me thinking about Amazon again. I've been boycotting them since the tax stuff broke (although still get Kindle books from there sometimes) and seeing this made me even more determined not to give them my cash.

      Delete
  6. Excellent list and something we could all do with being a bit mindful of! I'm making a few little things this year and we've always bought things from charity shops and second hand bookshops. I'm also supporting our local independent market in the town next to mine this Sunday, hopefully I'll be able to find lots of little bits and pieces. Also, it's not to do with gifts but out of all the people I know in real life, me and the other half are the only ones who've never bought anything from Starbucks or Costa (or any other coffee chain). I know boycotting them is only a little thing but it all helps methinks. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!!! Great post!
    I too have boycotted Amazon since the tax avoidance (& Starbucks- but also I don't want to spend money on overpriced tea) and I only have used them once on well over a year only because I had to get a book for school quick, but hated going there.
    I often find pressies in charity shops if poss and found a few on Etsy and makers on EBay.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete