Sunday 28 September 2014

Spending ban update: month one


Surprisingly, a month into my spending ban and things aren't going too badly. I've found sticking to the rules pretty easy this month (with only one wobble, when I put some dresses into an online shopping basket and then quickly turned my laptop off without spending a penny!).

Allowing myself a bit of spending - on a weekly date night, on secondhand stuff, and on Christmas gifts - was a masterstroke. During previous spending bans I've struggled with the lack of social life and have missed the Saturday trawl around charity shops. Making sure I can still do the things I enjoy has made it tons easier to stick to spending nothing elsewhere.

So, what have I spent this month? Leaving aside the normal bills and grocery shopping, my total is £112.69. Here's my spending broken down:

£5.50 on secondhand books from charity shops
£8 on Christmas gifts
£20 on a brunch cinema date
£18 on a ticket to see Robin Ince and a cheap burrito meal with my mate before the show
£16.20 on prescriptions
£7 for a cute skirt from the excellent Sue Ryder vintage shop in Leicester
£25 for a dinner date with my boy
£12 for an evening at a pub quiz with another couple
99p for a new phone cover, as the old one had fallen apart

As you can see, I've hardly been suffering a Scrooge-like existence. I'm still spending a bit of money and having a social life. Unfortunately my gym membership was renewed this month, so with the addition of that £190 expense I haven't quite managed to make the savings I would have liked. However, my overdraft has been completely paid off and I intend to start on the credit card debt next month. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on paying off the overdraft, I imagine it feels bloody great. I've not managed it yet! For me, it's all those little things that add up - a fiver here, three quid there (basically on nothing) - that's what I've got to change. Good to know that it's possible to not be a hermit and still cut down though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only a piddly little overdraft but I'm still so glad to be free of it! And I've cancelled the facility with my bank so I can't 'accidentally' go back into it once the ban is over.

      Delete
  2. Impressive work on the overdraft! I have been keeping my eye on what I spend recently, having to pay the bills on my own rather than splitting them has had me in a dither which wasn't completely necessary. Even still, just keeping an eye has made me realise how easy it is to fritter a couple of pounds here and there on things that I don't really need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you're used to splitting expenses with a partner and that ends, it's always a scary time. I'm glad you're managing ok!

      Delete
  3. That's excellent! i really need to do one of those. I've not put anything formal or quantitative in place but essentially, I am going to attempt to operate the month as if I haven't been paid at all. There are some necessary purchases and events but in general, I really shouldn't have any reason to spend mega bucks! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even just one month of this has made me realise just how much I usually spend. Every single month I used to go right up to my overdraft limit, which is hundreds and hundreds of pounds that I clearly didn't need to be spending. £100 or even £150 a month spending money? Fine. Three or four times that? Not fine!

      Delete
  4. Well done on the overdraft! It's amazing once you start looking at how much you spend, and on what, just how much you can cut down on, without reducing yourself to a scrooge-like existence. I think the date night and allowing second hand purchases is a great idea and makes it feel less like a ban :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on your spending ban. I'm seriously considering something like this for 2015. Still trying to iron out the details.

    ReplyDelete