Tuesday 20 May 2014

What I Wore: In which I stand awkwardly in front of a wall


I hate having my photograph taken.  I know that doesn't exactly make me unique, but the lengths I will go to to avoid either being caught on camera or (perhaps worse than having it taken in the first place) seeing a photograph of myself are legendary amongst my friends and family.
 
So it's perhaps a little counter-intuitive that one of the things that got me interested in blogging in the first place was the idea of being able to post outfit shots.  As I've said before, reading fatshion blogs and seeing a range of bodies represented was one of the most important things in my journey to body acceptance, and I feel it's important that women of all sizes are represented in all areas of the media, including blogs.  But I've been writing here for three years now and this is the first outfit post I've ever written.
 
So what changed?  Having The Boy on hand to take photographs is the biggest thing; I'm kind of a perfectionist so blurry mirror selfies just weren't going to do it for me (although as you can see from the bottom photo, he still needs some practice in framing a shot without capturing the drainpipe and wilting pot plants!).  It turned out to actually be kind of fun to mess about in front of the camera, even if I need to sharpen up my posing skills a bit.
 
Also, I just really love this outfit.  It breaks so many style 'rules' - chubby girl in stripes, short girl in a midi skirt - but I felt amazing in it.  The skirt, just £3 in a charity shop, is a little too long for my liking, but it fit so well that I couldn't resist it.  And, as the t-shirt was a January sale find that set me back a mere £5, this is possibly the cheapest outfit I own.

As you can see, this post gives the first peek of my new tattoo.  More to come once it's properly healed!
 
T-shirt: Zara * Skirt: Thrifted *
Belt: Peacocks * Sandals: Dune * Satchel: H&M * Sunglasses: New Look


10 comments:

  1. I love your outfit and thrifty fashion! Very brave of you to do this post - keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I feel a bit like I can't stop now I've started but my gosh, I found this difficult!

      Delete
  2. There's a (very small) part of me that would want to do outfit posts but the thought of getting The Person to take my photos fills me with dread - he is the living WORST at taking photographs. Framing is not a concept that he is familiar with. I think that, coupled with my uncomfortableness in front of a camera would make for some interesting 'alternative' outfit photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T actually did a not-bad job, but I am still just so embarrassed by them!

      Delete
  3. I love this look and am excited for the glimpse of tattoo. Love the stripes on you and the colour of the skirt. So summery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm loving how the tattoo looks in photos!

      Delete
  4. Really like this outfit, I am a stripe/pattern/polka dot fanatic. I've also been meaning to buy a midi skirt for ages, I need to do a proper charity shop hunt soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this outfit and screw the rules about being short and wearing midis. Half my wardrobe is midis haha. Also, it's so nice to see a lady with real boobies showing what she's wearing. As somebody who is also quite well endowed I appreciate how difficult it can be to dress them haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this outfit - and it goes really well with your hair colour! Well done for posting this, I'm far too much of a wimp for outfit posts although I've always intended to do one at some point...

    And the tattoo looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, this was a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice outfit!x

    ReplyDelete