Sunday 27 July 2014

A day in Cambridge


The first two weeks of my summer holiday have been manic (entirely my fault: I decided that instead of winding down from the busy school year, I'd instead redecorate the kitchen and then make a three tier wedding cake for one of my best friends), so on Thursday I welcomed the chance to take a break with a short trip to Cambridge.


The Boy and I packed our bags and headed down the A14 to meet up with a couple of friends of mine for lunch, before spending a peaceful afternoon sitting by the River Cam with a pint or two. Our plans for the evening got completely banjaxed by the sudden onset of a migraine (mine), but the following morning we were up bright and early to properly stroll around the town centre in the glorious sunshine.


I've visited Cambridge pretty regularly over the past few years but almost always with a group of pupils in tow, so it was lovely to have a chance to explore the city without a gang of Year 9s dogging my every step!  We rummaged for secondhand books, admired the beautiful flowers in the market, peered into the ancient colleges through doorways and railings, and then headed home for an afternoon of baking.




6 comments:

  1. Cambridge is so pretty! Love that last shot x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed a quintessential Cambridge scene - too good not to take a photo!

      Delete
  2. Ah, Cambridge is my home city, I do love it when people write about visiting there! I can tell where every photo was taken! Glad you had a good time, it is a fab city, especially in the sunshine (and without students - I've been a few times with summer schools!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed being there, but not sure I could live somewhere that's so besieged by tourists. I think it would try my patience too much!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, I haven't been to Cambridge for ages. We just got back from spending the weekend in Manchester and it's really inspired me to start visiting more UK cities... Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year has sort of accidentally become one when we spend lots of time exploring the UK - so far we've got Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Hay-On-Wye, Bristol and Cambridge under our belts. There's so many great places to see in this country, I'm glad I'm finally devoting some time to them.

      Delete