Monday 10 October 2011

Music Monday: One Direction


As much as my CD collection shouts 'indie purist' and my festival- and gig-going habits are unimpeachable, every so often a pop song comes along that I fall for.  Biology by Girls Aloud, Dynamite by Taoi Cruz, Three Colours In Her Hair by McFly are all songs that I happily rate as some of my favourite singles of all time.  In fact, I think the single is where pop music comes into it's own.  Bands like Midlake or Bonnie Prince Billy might release album after album of amazing songs that work as a coherent whole, but can they write a three minute pop gem that gets everyone dancing at weddings?

My latest pop obsession is about as wrong as it gets: a group manufactured by evil overlord of pop, Simon Cowell, and managed by his ever-so-aptly-named Syco company.  But if this is wrong, I don't want to be right.  From the opening bars which blatantly rip off Summer Nights to the McFly-like "nah nah nah"s in the bridge, I love You Don't Know You're Beautiful by One Direction and I defy you to listen to it and not feel a grin spread across your face.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I've had the indie v pop thing going on for years as well! I wonder how they'll do in the charts? Are boybands hot or not right now? I don't know that they would find much success on this side of the Pond, but good luck to'em! Definitely more catchy than Cher Lloyd's latest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It got to number one for a week here, so not brilliant but not terrible. Boy bands have had a bit of a resurgence here, especially ones that come up from The X Factor (as One Direction did). Oh Cher Lloyd is awful, such a Jessie J ripoff.

    ReplyDelete